Thursday, January 22, 2009

Scott's Sweet Potatoes with Garlicky Greens

I haven't been blogging about food lately, and that's because I've cooked nothing worth blogging about. I've been too lazy to cook anything new...and the gym is taking up a lot of time in the evenings. I really need to push myself to work out in the mornings!

Today, after an hour of cycling and a mile on the treadmill (this time, I plan to be reeeaaal cautious with the running!), the boring old food just wasn't appealing enough.

I tried a recipe from the October issue of Runner's World. The recipe calls for kale, collards or chard...I used spinach.
Scott's Sweet Potatoes with Garlicky Greens
Sweet Potatoes
4 sweet potatoes, sliced in wedges
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (or table salt)
1 tsp paprika (or cayenne)...for me, it was 2 tsp of cayenne; I never skimp on the spices
1 tsp rosemary
Garlicky Greens
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and cut
1 bunch of kale, collards or chard, deveined and coarsely chopped (or 1 bunch of spinach)
1/2 tsp sea salt (or table salt)

Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 375 F. Toss potatoes with oil and seasonings. Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and lightly browned.

Garlicky Greens: Preheat skillet and olive oil. Saute garlic and pepper for one or two minutes. Add greens and salt. Saute for 5 minutes.

Calories Per Serving: 230 Carbs: 38 g Protein: 4g Fat: 7 g
The sweet potatoes were really good. I usually pressure cook sweet potatoes; this way is much better. I get to add all the spices I want...I even added a teaspoon of curry powder. The spinach turned out palatable, but the thick, rubbery consistency of kale or chard would probably work better with the sweet potatoes. And the onion rolls from Pathmark were delicious.

Good night, all!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yum! Looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love sweet potatoes, and spicy sounds really good.

lauren said...

yummmm. sounds great!