Monday, August 2, 2010

River 2 Sea Relay

Fell off the radar again and I didn't even realize it's been more than 2 weeks since my last post. How have you been? I've missed you all! My silence has been filled with working hard all week and playing hard all weekend. I've returned to running, albeit cautiously. I have been running on the soft surface of the towpath aided by liberal treatments of heat and ice.

Saturday, I ran the River 2 Sea Relay as part of the RVRR team Blisters of Mercy. 92 miles across NJ, starting at Milford and ending by the beach in Manasquan. The club put together 3 teams. 4 men, 3 women and 2 cars per team. I am a huge fan of relays, but this was an experience like no other. You know how when you and a few others share a special experience, you want to yap away about it to anyone in sight...but you know no one else would really understand? That's how I (and I suspect the others) feel. An intense bonding experience with other runners from morning till night, sharing in the glory and pain and logistical challenges, that left us all feeling an extraordinary connection for each other.

One of the transfers

Finish by the sea

After more than 15 hours on the road, we were greeted by a band, pizza and soda...and finished with a cold swim in the sea.

13 comments:

Abby said...

I know the co-creator of that event, and he said it was a great race this year. I'll pass along that you enjoyed it!

ajh said...

I'm doing a relay at the end of the month and I can't wait! Nice ending by the ocean!

joyRuN said...

One of the resp therapists in the hospital was trying to talk me into his relay team when they lost a runner. He backed off when he saw my boot ;)

Emily said...

sounds like a fun event. i've never done a relay before, but it does sound like a great place to connect with other runners.

Mica said...

I've never done a relay before, but this makes me want to do one! Especially one that ends at the ocean!

Scott McMurtrey said...

I still haven't done one of these long relays. They look like a blast.

jb24 said...

I have heard great things about the River to Sea Relay. Glad you had a good time. These overnight relays are definitely a cool experience - you should try Ragnar or Reach the Beach if you haven't yet. I still would like to do Hood to Coast.

Ali said...

sounds like a great time. we did a relay a few years ago our team bonded, fought and bonded again by the end.

Lindsay said...

a relay! i still hope to do one of those soon.

which reminds me, i was supposed to email a future relay team to confirm my spot so i better get off to that!

Beth said...

A relay is still on my list of things I want to do. I'm so glad you enjoyed yours. Makes me want to try and find one sooner rather than later.

Ravi said...

Amazing! Good post.
Have never done a relay myself.

Heather said...

That looks like a great time. I would love to do a relay like that someday.

Erica said...

What a fun event! I've never run a relay, but I really want to. I bet the "team" feeling is just awesome!