Monday, February 15, 2010

Mom's Best

Hope you had a wonderful weekend and a lovely Valentine's Day. Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I have to say, I believe Valentine's Day is an extremely hyped-up occasion and I would be perfectly OK with letting it slide by unnoticed. I remember gifting DH a toothbrush on our first Valentine's Day together, so that's where the bar was set...not high at all. Of course, I love the pretty flowers and chocolate I get on V-Day, but I believe every girl should get flowers and chocolate every week, if not every day of the week. Don't you?

On another note, I am a lucky girl. I won 2 boxes of Mom's Best Naturals cereal in the contest hosted by The Happy Runner!!! Thank you, Felice! I entered the contest, then got so busy, I completely forgot to check back for the winners, so Felice had to remind me I had won and to email her my address, so she could send them my way.
I have been wanting to try Mom's Best, but like a lot of things, had somehow never gotten around to buying it. One of my friends, who is very particular about what she puts into her stomach has been singing the praises of Mom's Best...I believe her entire cereal consumption consists of Mom's Best selections. The website says "There's nothing artificial, no saturated fat or hydrogenated oils, no high fructose corn syrup". The company also plays it's part in saving the planet in a number of thoughtful ways, so they definitely have my vote.

The boxes arrived on Friday. Of course, I had to open the box of sweetened wheatfuls rightaway and dig into the little squares of sugary goodness. Mmm...
DH is not the biggest fan of whole wheat products, so I may have to polish them off myself...and I am looking forward to it!

Last week's total mileage: 38 miles

Monday: Easy 4 miles (38:23), spinning (1 hour), swimming (500 yards)

Tuesday: 6 mile tempo (1 mile warm up, 4 miles tempo - 7:59, 8:01, 7:58, 7:47, 1 mile cooldown)

Wednesday: rest (snow day)

Thursday: 16 mile long run (2:30:24) in the snow!

Friday: strength training (ab crunches, lunges, weights)

Saturday: Easy 9 miles (1:26:44)

Sunday: 3 miles on hills (26:26)

I am focusing more on quality runs than on ramping up the mileage every week. I've discovered the hard way that the 10% rule DOES NOT work for me!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a big Valentine's Day girl either. People should show their love year round, not just on one day. Nice workouts.

Abby said...

No flowers or chocolate here on Valentine's Day this year, unless you count the milkduds that Brent picked up on our way to the movies :)

I like the toothbrush... any symbolism there, or just a way to tell him that he had stinky breath?

I Run for Fun said...

LOL! He just happened to need a toothbrush at the time.

Irene said...

We've treated Valentine's Day like a silly day, and did it mostly for the kids. We used to give each other goofy stuff from the dollar store, sort of like the toothbrush. ;) I made conversation cookies this year, but mostly for my 6 year old grandson. He was super excited to give and receive Valentine's Day cards at school.

I agree, a girl (or guy) should receive flowers and chocolates just because. :)

Mica said...

I'm not big on commercial V-day stuff either. This year, I got flowers (partially b/c the boyfriend said he didn't want to look bad to all the bloggers, ha!), and I made a big batch of brownies. That is good enough for me!

Quality over quantity, always! Though I am so bad at putting in the work for quality miles...

Heather said...

Nice workouts - especially an awesome long run in the snow!

Beth said...

I'm with you on the whole Valentine's Day. You are doing so great at getting the miles and workouts in. You are an inspiration! Way to go!

Erica said...

16 miles in the snow? you're a machine! That rocks. The cereals sound great. I don't love or hate Valentine's day. I think its nice to have a day to remind us to love those who are important to us (even if it is a little cheesy).

Marlene said...

I won the cereal too! Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Nice job on the miles!

joyRuN said...

I have to focus on quality not quantity for mileage also these days, just because I've been so pressed for time!

ajh said...

THanks for the nice comment on my blog. I couldn't link to your blog for awhile but seem to be able to again.

I Run for Fun said...

ajh: I am having an issue with my blog. Every couple of days, I am not able to log in. I then have to log into my gmail account to get access to my blog. Am looking into it but can't find a solution on any of the forums.
Thanks for trying again.

Teamarcia said...

I totally agree on weekly flowers and chocolate. It's only right! Nice running week. I am envious. ;)

Ravi said...

COngratulations on winning the cereal. They look yummy.

Lindsay said...

i don't care about v-day either. i'm good with chocolate and a card. i don't even need flowers - so low maintenance :)

quality running last week!

Sherri said...

I love all the love I can give...year round of course...anniversary....Valentines...
love all the workouts..and I am glad to hear that the 10% rule is hard for others to follow!

Felice Devine said...

Glad your cereal arrived!!!

Great week!