Sunday, October 18, 2009

Myersville Run

While most of the country has been following imaginary boys riding hot air balloons (or so it seems...what a crazy way to get attention, by the way!), I've been cocooned in my home office, alternately staring at my computer and chattering on the phone from morning till night; by Friday evening, my ears were ringing, my jaws throbbing...and the weekend came as sweet release.

It was such a bummer that my running buddy Glenn, after a near-perfect training cycle, was not able to complete the Baltimore Marathon last weekend. He had been on antibiotics and Mucinex for his allergies, and despite hydrating well before the race, he became severely dehydrated during the race and was forced to call it quits. I think it was extremely brave and smart of him to decide to stop when he did...a huge part of running well is knowing when to stop.

And in true Glenn-style, after critically analyzing his race performance, he bounced right back just days after the race by signing up for the Atlantic City marathon, 4 weeks from now. I'm so proud of you, buddy!

I have some good news to report on the running front. My injured foot behaved itself through 20 miles of running last week. But a month of non-running and just a teeny bit of cross training (is biking called 'cross-training', when you're doing only that and no running?) had taken its toll. I puffed through 14 miles this week, before Glenn suggested that we do the 11.25 mile Myersville run this morning. I was understandably hesitant. For one thing, my longest run over the past 8 weeks has been less than 6 miles. And I had found this route that Glenn put together (here is his website with a detailed description of the neighborhood and trail runs he's done) pretty challenging the last time I did it...and I was in decent shape then.

He said we could take it slow...and walk wherever we needed to. I didn't need much convincing. I just told myself that when Glenn broke into impromptu sprints mid-run (as he has a tendency of doing), I would use all my will power and resist the urge to compete. It was chilly, windy and drizzling...but we had a great time, as usual. The run started with a rather steep hill, the toughest one. There were a total of 4 hills throughout the run (Glenn calls the last hill a 'slope'...I disagree).

I was wearing my fuel belt for the second time. And the official verdict sucks! I need a belt that will allow me to pull out my water bottle easier, even with gloved hands.

With this belt, the procedure is as follows:
- Remove gloves
- Struggle to remove bottle from belt
- Unsuccessfully juggle bottle, camera and gloves
- Drop camera and bottle
- Pick bottle and camera off the ground and wipe the dirt off

If my bottle were a pistol and this fuel belt was the holster, I wouldn't bet on myself in a duel!

This route covers a few really pretty neighborhoods. I had forgotten my camera last time...this time, I got pics.

The translucent blob in the middle of the rest of the pics is not mist...unfortunately, water got in my camera at this point and has imparted a sort-of ghostly look to all the pictures.

Both of us were pushing each other toward the end. There was no way I could have completed this run by myself.
Glenn finished strong. I was completely depleted. Everything south of my neck was complaining. I take that head was throbbing too. Throughout the run, I had a mild headache, which became more demanding as I drove home. I could barely get home and take the much longed-for hot shower. I managed to shovel in some left-over Chinese food, before I passed out on the couch, where I remained the rest of the afternoon.
But I can't say it's GREAT to be running again!


Erica said...

Looks like a gorgeous run! Look at all those fall leaves. Glad you finished girly- super proud of you. And thank you for the oh so sweet comment on my made my day!

Mica said...

What a beautiful Fall run!

I'm glad your foot is behaving so you can get some pretty miles in.

Roisin said...

Glad your foot is behaving, but keep taking it easy. Love the pics, too...and I wish the water spot were some sort of spirit or guardian angel following you on your runs! It'd be spooky and cool all at the same time ;)

joyRuN said...

Looks like such a gorgeous run!

I'm not a fan of my hydration belt anymore either, especially since I started using a handheld.

Irene said...

What a beautiful place to run!

lindsay said...

glad the running is 'on' again! it is a little abusive after taking some forced time off, but you'll be back to your old speedy-runnerself in no time!

Beth said...

Very funny about the fuel belt. I'm glad that it isn't a gun holster and that you didn't shoot yourself! Great job doing a tough. Isn't amazing how we loose confidence in our abilities after such a short period of time? I bet you feel more confident now. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great route. Glad to hear you are back running, especially with the foot feeling good. Glad you are back.

X-Country2 said...

Glad your foot is behaving. Aren't training partners the best? SOunds like you found a great one.

Ravi said...

Awesome pics and good post.

Coloradan said...

Pictures look great.Glad you are back running.