Thursday, March 26, 2009

You can't ever quit the gym

I am accustomed to reluctantly rolling off the bed at 4 am for a long run. But yesterday, I was wide awake at the witching hour, in my home office, hard at work. I've been watching the news too much. All this prediction of gloom and doom is finally catching up with me. I guess people react in different ways to the often unspoken human fear of what the future will bring; turns out, my reaction is to sit cocooned in my little corner of the world, cranking out work at a feverish pace.

I got in a solid hour of work before heading off for an 8-miler. It felt good to be out in the fresh air, though spring has done the disappearing act again and every exposed surface was covered with frost. From this week on, my long run (which I had been getting done before work on a week day) has been moved to Saturday. This way, my weekdays are a little less hectic and hopefully, the momentum of the group on Saturday will propel me through my long runs.
I also got in an hour of spinning yesterday...we climbed hills, and my quads felt tight, still not completely recovered from the class on Monday.

The gym is quickly evolving into the sit com of my life. I finally figured out why membership is multiplying by the day. About a week ago, I noticed a new recruit to the gym...a tall, waif-like girl with large melting eyes, long curly eyelashes, full red lips and dark shiny hair framing her oval face. She could not be more than 18 years old. You know it's not unusual to find slender women of varying degrees of hotness at gyms, so the reason I remember her with such precision is because every time my eyes wandered in her direction, she had her arm tossed casually around some guy's shoulder or her hand planted on some other guy's arm. Last night, she appeared again, in chic purple shirt, glossy broad belt, well-fitted black pants and 3-inch pencil heels. 10 minutes before spinning class began, while we were pottering about our bikes, she entered smartly, hand firmly grasping the arm of a guy I had not noticed before. After handing him over into the expert care of the teacher, she disappeared, appearing again few minutes later with another hapless new guy in tow. She did this 3 times in 10 minutes, I kid you not!

As for me, I just stared. And felt relieved that my darling husband's gym membership has been successfully canceled!

19 comments:

Pearl said...

LOL the end of your story made me laugh :)

did she WORK at the gym? or was she a member working out? I can't see myself ever.. EVER getting on a stationary bike or elliptical with 3 inch heels.

lauren said...

LOL!! sooo funny.

X-Country2 said...

WTF? Heels? That's so random. Funny, but very random.

Aileen said...

Does this tart work there? I never understand why people dress up for the gym. Freakshow.

I Run for Fun said...

She is a sales counselor at the gym. Oh, the poor guys!

Speaking of heels, did you hear about the high-heelathon in NYC last year? Here are some pics. http://www.runningwithheels.com/?p=1821

zzz said...

I have noticed someone like that @ my gym. I think it's part of the gym's recruitment and retention strategy. But I loved your narrative.

Cindy said...

so funny! gym membership is at an all time high! but what will she look like after an hour of spinning?

Abby said...

Wasn't that a Friends episode?

Marlene said...

You lost me at 4am. *GASP!*

Mel-2nd Chances said...

too funny about the gym. I'm impressed by your dedication to fit your long runs in during the week and waking up so early!

Anonymous said...

It was indeed in one of the Friends episodes that a similar was tactic was used. Still, sales-wise, I can imagine it is a very good move.

Good to read that doing your long runs in the weekend gave you a bit more rest.

Nikemom said...

she may be able to sell it but I bet she can't move it. especially in 3-inch pencil heels. keep spinning, you'll live longer. :D

J said...

wow that is totally crazy!

Erica said...

I hear ya on worrying about the economy! We must live normally though or it will never recover! Everyone go shopping!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT run! Can you please come live down the street from me and motivate me to be faster and run further? PLEASSSe ;)

Felice Devine said...

Ha! Perfect ending!!

It's pretty silly to wear heels in the gym, though, even if one is a sales counselor.

Tammy said...

Interesting... I've never seen anything like that at my gym. The sales guy at my gym just wears sweats and a t-shirt and the most piercing blue eyes.

Uh oh.

raulgonemobile said...

Funny! I like the last line, too. lol.

But 4 AM? Yeah, I'd be reluctant then too. same with 5, really.

joyRuN said...

8 miles AND spin class on the same day? Nice!

Hmmm... gym bait - very interesting marketing approach.

Lindsay said...

i always wear a similar outfit to the gym!

those guys are pathetic for falling for it.