Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cardamom tea

There have been a few requests to divulge the contents of my oft-mentioned cardamom tea. I must say, when DH and I entertain, even if the rest of the menu tastes like sawdust, this trusty beverage never fails to please.

I was not a tea/coffee drinker, until I met DH and slowly but surely gained an appreciation for the restorative powers of caffeine. Even so, regular coffee is too strong for me; as for tea, here is how I like it best:
To prepare 2 cups of cardamom tea: Boil 1 1/2 cups of skimmed or 1% milk, 1/2 cup of water and the ground contents of 1 cardamom pod (the more aromatic, the better). The grinding is accomplished using a tiny marble mortar and pestle, which is one of the most cherished implements in our kitchen.
Add the required amount of sugar and 1 teaspoon of loose or granulated tea powder (this is usually available in Indian grocery stores). For a stronger flavor, add more tea powder. When it boils, reduce to simmer for 2-3 minutes and strain into 2 cups.

Those of you who are addicted to the more potent type of caffeinated drink that ejects you from your chair and catapults you through your day will most probably turn your nose up at this highly milky and watered-down version. So, before you attempt to make it, let me warn you: The caffeine in this drink is only guaranteed to give you a gentle nudge, not a violent kick in the seat of your pants.

Enjoy!

I am happy to report that after my disastrous weekend, much was accomplished yesterday. A 5 mile run in the morning (Frozen fingers return; What's up with this weather?), spinning class and a 20 minute swim in a packed gym in the evening. Thanks to your encouraging and peppy comments, my mojo's back!

17 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

definitely a coffee drinker, and i love pomegranate green tea :) Glad your mojo is back -- we all have 'days'.

Laurel said...

I am actually trying to cut back on my caffeine, this sounds perfect.

Abby said...

I don't drink much in the way of caffeine (tend to stick to herbal teas), but this looks so warm and cozy - I may have to try it!

Bee At Work.. said...

I like to drink tea and I think I manage to make good ones. This one seems to be interesting I'll definitely try!!!

Pearl said...

oh that mildly-caffeined cardamom tea sounds great :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job with getting your mojo back. I am thinking about starting to swim in the mornings, but we'll see.

Marlene said...

Run, spin AND swim on Monday?! Wow. Great job!

Mmm, now I want some tea.... my plain old orange pekoe is kind of boring. :)

Heather said...

Nice job with all the workouts. I would love to swim regularly, but we don't have a pool close enough to make it fit in my schedule.

lauren said...

whoa - great workouts! I love milky tea...it is the best.

X-Country2 said...

The husband has been veyr into green tea lately, so I may add this to our routine.

Aron said...

yay for the return of the mojo! :)

Aileen said...

I am a HUGE fan of anything tea related, so I must try this out sometime soon...

Ali said...

Definitely sounds like your mojo is back.

I am coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon type ... this sounds great!

Scheri said...

The tea looks yummy. Thanks for sharing :-)

zzz said...

I love a hot cup of cardamom chai on snow days. I just made one today. Have u tried adding a little ginger?

I Run for Fun said...

I read about your ginger tea, Lakshmi...do you grate ginger and add it to the tea before boiling?

zzz said...

I usually grate ginger, grind fresh cardamom and add it to water first and let it boil, then add tea, sugar and in a minute I add milk. I prefer the taste and aroma of the spices dominate the tea.