Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stir fry

I love stir fries. They are easy to make, you can throw just about anything in them and they still look and taste acceptable. They require no creativity. Best of all, you can make them as healthy or as unhealthy as you choose.

I am not talking about the fancy schmancy stir fries Emeril Lagasse whips up. I am referring to humbler creations, like my dinner from yesterday....vegetarian Hakka noodle stirfry. The noodles were boiled separately and added to stir-fried vegetables (green pepper, cauliflower, carrot and beans). An egg and cheese were added, cooked for a few minutes longer, then spring onion was added...and voila!

I got lazy yesterday (Saturday)...the only exercise I could convince myself to do was 45 minutes on the stationary bike at home.

The upside of that was, I was extra-eager to get myself to the gym first thing this morning (ahem...first thing on a Sunday morning means 9 am for me). I expected to get a parking spot right in front of the entrance, but nope! These eager beaver New Year resolutioners were up and slaving away already...and all but one of the treadmills were occupied! Doesn't any one have a life???

I accomplished a "mini-sprint triathlon" today...a cycling class, 25 minutes on the treadmill (walking + a mile and a half of running) and 20 minutes of swimming. Not too shabby.

8 comments:

Ali said...

It looks delicious! Emeril would be inspired.

I've never had any success with a stir-fry, I think I over cook them. Did you use a sauce?

Heather said...

Good job on the mini-triathlon - sounds fun! The stir fry looks really good. I love stir fry, but mine always turns out like cardboard.

Anonymous said...

what is a hakka noodle? good job on the triathlon. I got to the gym at 10am on sunday and I had to wait for a treadmill!

BeachRunner said...

Way to go!! :)

teacherwoman said...

Mmm... looks yummy!

I Run for Fun said...

Thanks, Ali. I did add hot sauce, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce...but very little of each one.

Lauren, hakka is a kind of thin, flat rice noodle that is used a lot in Indo-Chinese recipes.

Erica said...

This looks so great! I love stir fry! I make it pretty much once a week. I always go heavy on the veggies lighter on the protein. Do you have a favorite sauce or do you prefer to make your own? Great job on your mini tri!

I Run for Fun said...

Erica, I just use good ol' catsup!