Monday, October 13, 2008

Building the base: Week 2

Yay! Successfully completed my first 5-day running week, and 32 miles of running last week!

I am also keeping track of muscle-building activity, ao add on 3 days of strength training (50 ab crunches, 10 push- ups, leg weights and free weights each) and cross training (30 minutes each on stationary bike).

My running week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday.

The biggest challenge is the Monday morning run, which usually gets pushed to the evening, because I am too wimpy to get out of bed at 5:00 am on Mondays (and it's still dark, groan!). My running schedule is designed under the assumption that I'll wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and cheerfully head out the door by 5:30 am. But on Mondays, that never happens. I guess it's got something to do with having to kick back into gear and focus on work after the weekend chill-off. And for some reason, no matter how tired I make myself, I am sleepless on Sunday nights. I feel like Atlas, shouldering the weight of the heavens...all the worries of the past week return to haunt me on Sunday night.

So, apart from the Monday morning cop-out, I was on target last week; giving up the treasured evening tea-time routine for a sweaty and grimy run. But, DH joins me on some of my evening runs, so a pleasant time is had by all.

I am officially out of marathon taper; and this week's goal is 36 miles (7, 7, 12, 5, 5).

No comments: