Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Undesirable effects of taper

The books said signs like sharp pains in different parts of the body, the craving for carbs, the inclination to cram in more miles during the last few weeks, phantom pains, panic attacks, heavy legs, and a slight weight gain were normal during the marathon taper.

Of course, forewarned is forearmed, so none of these things bother me. What bothers me is not the slow reduction of running miles, but the decrease in my strength training routine. My training plan included cross-training, free weights and core exercises twice or thrice a week. With the taper in running mileage, I decided to taper my strength training to once a week. And while this did not result in a weight gain (if my kitchen scales are to be believed), the combined effect of less exercise and carb loading has resulted in a little layer of lard on my stomach and hips. Not flattering!

No comments: