Friday, September 26, 2008

The Intermediate marathoner

A sharp pain in my mid-sole put paid to my plans of a 3-miler today. I don't know what brought this on...but I tell myself this is just leftovers from the marathon. I need all the rest I can get for the next 2 weeks, before I ramp up the mileage. And, the last 2-miler had brought on a slight but persistent hip pain. Nasty thoughts of hip replacement surgery go through me....yow! Forget dumbbells and ab crunches today!

I content myself with browsing the internet for intermediate marathon plans. I am yet undecided about which plan to use. Am I an intermediate marathoner? I feel I am beyond Hal Higdon's Novice plans. I can easily handle 35-50 mpw during the next training cycle...if I can hold on to my first marathon training mileage till mid-December. But Pfitzinger's 18/55 plan is intimidating. While I am raring to go, part of me is scared silly at the thought of racheting up the speed, while simultaneously increasing mileage to 50-55 mpw, and going from 4 to 5 days a week...all within the next 5-6 months.

Marathon training has really helped me respect the signals my body sends out; but my mind sometimes races ahead of my body, and I have to rein 'er in. So, I compromise...I settle on Hal Higdon's Intermediate II program (probably will tailor it to hit a peak of 50 mpw)...for now. I have no doubt I will go through several more iterations of indecision before I finally settle upon a plan that I can follow through on.

No comments: