Saturday, August 2, 2008

Birthday Festivities

August 1, 2008

Expectations change so drastically as you grow older! When I was a kid, I used to pretend that my birthday was no big deal (I liked to act grown-up), by not wearing "color dress" to school...and then feeling thrilled, but acting nonchalant when other kids suddenly "discovered" it was my birthday and made a fuss. Oi! After I married, I at the very least, expected DH, my parents and close friends to remember my birthday.

This time, I did not remember my birthday till the evening before at the pool, mid-stroke. I was expecting DH to forget also, and not really caring (adding a year to a 33-year old is not exactly cause for celebration) but he delivered...a card and birthday cake (he preponed the tradition of midnight cake-cutting, because I declared pangs of hunger at 7 pm). My mouth watered for Chili's steak and margueritas...so, we drove to the Chili's on Rte. 18 after work and a swim on Friday. DH was really sweet and insisted that we drive to Sports Authority, where he would get me kitted out for my upcoming marathon...but I had just bought myself 2 expensive pairs of running shoes, so I reluctantly deferred the gift to a needier time.

My parents and bros called and so did a couple of close friends. What more can a 34-year old expect? Happy b'day to me!

1 comment:

Richard said...

It's refreshing to see that you have no reservations about letting the world know your age!
I enjoy your musings.