Wednesday, January 14, 2009

This too shall pass

I read Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth...and loved it. I may be the last person to read this book...everyone's been raving about it...but if I'm not, let me recommend it to whoever hasn't read it. I don't usually read spiritual books, but this one carries a message that is simple and practical.
I am now reading one of his other books, The Power Of Now. Powerful stuff ideed!

And now its time to put into action one of his profound messages...This too shall pass.

As you probably know through my constant ranting, I've been carrying this annoying tendonitis problem around for the past 2 months. It's not as serious as a stress fracture, so my foot is not in a cast. But I've also learned (the hard way) that it cannot be ignored. So, I've been struggling with the questions of when to run and how much to run. I started walking on the treadmill, then running. Last Monday was my first run since December...I started with 1 mile, then progressivly increased mileage through the week. Two days ago, I felt strong enough to hit 4 miles on the treadmill. After the run, I felt a slight stirring of tension in my foot. So, last night, it was back to a mile and a half, which I completed with no pain. After the run, where I hardly broke a sweat, I joined the Cycling class...at the end of the class, I was soaked in sweat for the first time in God-knows-when. It felt so good!

All pumped up after the great workout, I felt optimistic enough to look up a couple of races in early spring. I should be in ship-shape condition by then, I figured.

Little did I know! This morning, I woke up late for work and was hurriedly making my bed, when I banged my foot (real hard!) on the bed frame right on the injured spot. How do these things happen to me? (I know...I'm a klutz!) The pain's gotten worse through the day and now, I've got a little bump, to match my swollen tendon.

What can I say? It's back to swimming, weights and reminding myself that This too shall pass!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man! so sorry that happened...I wonder if it would hurt during the spin class?

I havent read that book yet, so maybe I should check it out...

Heather said...

Sorry about the foot - I hope it gets better soon!

BeachRunner said...

How frustrating, indeed. But you are doing the right thing. Give it some more time and TLC. It is great that you found a substitute workout for now. I would stick with the cycling for a while (with a few short easy runs now and then) to be dang sure the foot is healed. Good luck and keep on cycling.

teacherwoman said...

Nope... you're not the last one to read "A New Earth"... I have it, but haven't read it yet. Maybe as soon as I finish the Twilight Saga!