Monday, August 25, 2008

Hustle and bustle

A really hectic weekend (dentist appointment (where I fell asleep in the chair, waiting for the dentist and had to be shaken awake) and dinner at Penang with the in-laws Friday night, a baby shower and birthday party at Reading, 2 1/2 hours away on Saturday, a 5 mile run followed by a 1/2 hour swim and dinner with a neighbor on Sunday) turned into an equally exhausting Monday, with a 6-mile run, then a long day of work followed by cooking, laundry and washing dishes. And in the midst of this mad confusion, I even found time to fly through a few chapters of Rosamunde Pilcher's Coming Home. What's happening to lazy me?

I have to admit - since I made room in my life for running, I've somehow found the time and energy to shove so much more stuff into it. I don't feel tired anymore, just sleepy from time to time (as my dad would say).

I am enjoying the first week of 'taper', and am determined to stick with the program. The goal of a taper is to cut average weekly mileage by 10-40%. Since I've been suffering random twinges, I decided to chop 20% this week and maybe another 10-15% next week. I read articles on what to expect during a taper, physically and psychologically - armed with this info, I am as ready as I can be.

Today, I did 6 miles, alternating between slow and a sort of semi-tempo. Felt OK.

I checked the race registration, to put my mind to rest and avoid last-minute anxiety attacks.
I need to confirm the hotel reservation. And definitely wash my shoes and socks - they smell like horse manure.

No comments: