Monday, March 3, 2008

Running week 1 & 2

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008

I hope to do a 4 miler today. But as soon as I start, I know I'm going to have to stop. My sciatic nerve starts to throb...and while the pain is not unbearable, I can feel the shock waves from my lower back down to my right thigh, with every step. It's probably yesterday's ab crunches and strength training. I slow down to a walk and continue run-walking (ralk-ing?) 3 miles.I haven't been running for a few weeks now, so I decide it's best to ease into running real slow. I'm glad this is not a long run, though. I'd hate for pain to interrupt a long run!

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008

Snow has been forecasted for tomorrow, so I get my "long run" in today...6 miles is a long run for me now, considering the longest I've run so far, after a 2-month hiatus, is 3 miles.

Monday, Feb 25, 2008

I plough through my 4 miles. I run on the roads behind my house. It is so much fun to get back in the groove. After the run, I feel my knees and back for stiffness. Not too bad!

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008

My target for this week: 19 miles.
4 miles again today. I am getting better...the rustiness is disappearing. I feel the fluid movement back in my body...this is good.

Friday, Feb 29, 2008

I plan a 7 mile long run. I start slow and maintain my pace. My goal is to finish. I run through some local neighborhoods, mostly on the sidewalks. No knee pain...good. A couple of miles into the run, I decide I can stretch it to 8 miles. I don't carry water on me, so I plan to run a loop back to the house at the 4th or 5th mile for a gulp. But, I get caught up in my run and decide I can last 8 miles without H2O. I am caught up in my thoughts and looking at my watch, realize I have run 8 miles but am nowhere close to home! I have to take some shortcuts and run-walk 3 miles to get my post-run meal in within a half-hour. I am ravenous...but feel really good.

I ice myself for 10 minutes and feel the post-run glow. I am ready for the weekend. Bring it on!

Sunday, Mar 2

4 miles today. It is so good to get the long run done in the middle of the week. I feel relaxed as I run my 4 miles at a relatively fast pace. I run past the middle school, alternating between the hard sidewalk and grass, taking care to avoid the dried (and semi-wet) dog turd as much as possible. My legs feel great. Ah, this is the life. I will try and repeat this pattern next week, running my long run on Thursday or Friday.

My next goal...an early morning (before 7 am) run.

No comments: